3D Secure 2.0
First there was 3D Secure.
Ever heard of 3D Secure? It's a payer authentication system created by Visa and MasterCard. It's branded as "Verified by Visa" and "MasterCard Secure Code". 3D Secure prevents fraud and shifts chargeback liability from the merchant to the card issuing bank. It works by requiring cardholders to enter an additional code when they purchase online. This makes the transaction more secure for everyone involved, the cardholder, the bank issuing the card, and the merchant. It's great when it works, but...
3D Secure 1.0 was super un-user-friendly.
- Compatibility issues on different devices and browsers caused much frustration, and users would actually see it as a security threat.
- Users got irritated by it to the point that they would quit the purchase or be suspicious of the popup window and abandon the transaction.
3D Secure 2.0 introduces Frictionless Flow
- Frictionless flow uses risk-based authentication to approve transactions without the need to interact with the user.
- Abandonment rates are dramatically reduced.
With this game-changing improvement, and numerous other usability enhancements, merchants can now use 3D Secure 2.0 to dramatically reduce fraud and chargebacks without losing conversions.
3D Secure 2.0 is integrated into Elavon's payment APIs and SDKs.
- Quickly and easily implement & integrate 3D Secure 2.0 with the Elavon / Converge API.
- Reduce fraudulent online transactions without losing conversions or impacting the user experience.
- Shift chargeback liability for "friendly fraud" back to the card-issuing banks.